Reuters | Sep 17, 2020 11:18
Sept 17 (Reuters) - Gold prices eased on Thursday as the U.S. dollar firmed, although doubts over a swift global economic recovery and the Federal Reserve's pledge to hold interest rates near zero until at least 2023 limited losses for the safe-haven metal.
* Spot gold XAU= was down 0.3% to $1,954.42 per ounce by 0034 GMT, after hitting its highest since Sept. 2 at $1,973.16 on Wednesday.
* U.S. gold futures GCv1 fell 0.4% to $1,962.90.
* The Fed signalled on Wednesday it expects the U.S. economic recovery from the coronavirus crisis to accelerate with unemployment falling faster than the central bank expected in June. It also said it would keep rates at near zero levels until inflation is on track to "moderately exceed" its 2% inflation target "for some time." Lower interest rates decrease the opportunity cost of holding non-yielding bullion.
* Meanwhile, data showed U.S. consumer spending slowed in August, pointing to a stall in the economic recovery from the effects of the pandemic. Asian shares were set to drift lower on Thursday as concerns about the strength of the economic recovery remained. MKTS/GLOB
* The Bank of Japan is set to keep monetary policy steady on Thursday, while the Bank of England is expected to signal that it is getting ready to pump yet more stimulus into Britain's economy. Silver XAG= dropped 0.8% to $27 per ounce, platinum XPT= dipped 0.9% to $959.58 and palladium XPD= slipped 0.9% to $2,378.86.
DATA/EVENTS (GMT) 1100 UK
BOE Bank Rate
Sept 1230 US
Housing Starts Number
Aug 1230 US
Initial Jobless Clm
Weekly 1230 US
Philly Fed Business Indx Sept
Written By: Reuters
Trading in financial instruments and/or cryptocurrencies involves high risks including the risk of losing some, or all, of your investment amount, and may not be suitable for all investors. Prices of cryptocurrencies are extremely volatile and may be affected by external factors such as financial, regulatory or political events. Trading on margin increases the financial risks.
Before deciding to trade in financial instrument or cryptocurrencies you should be fully informed of the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, carefully consider your investment objectives, level of experience, and risk appetite, and seek professional advice where needed.
Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. The data and prices on the website are not necessarily provided by any market or exchange, but may be provided by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual price at any given market, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Fusion Media and any provider of the data contained in this website will not accept liability for any loss or damage as a result of your trading, or your reliance on the information contained within this website.
It is prohibited to use, store, reproduce, display, modify, transmit or distribute the data contained in this website without the explicit prior written permission of Fusion Media and/or the data provider. All intellectual property rights are reserved by the providers and/or the exchange providing the data contained in this website.
Fusion Media may be compensated by the advertisers that appear on the website, based on your interaction with the advertisements or advertisers.
Get free real time quotes, charts and alerts on stocks, indices, currencies, commodities and bonds. Get free top of the line technical analysis/predictors.
More content, faster quotes and charts, and a smoother experience is available only on the App.